Sunday, August 11, 2013

❀ College Countdown: Day 6 ❀

Packing What You Can and Designating a Spot for it All

Six more days! This is really getting exciting! But I know that everyone is freaking out about packing and getting everything that they need. 
So I'm here to give you a couple of tips on packing and finding a place in your house where you can keep everything until it's time to pack the car. This will be in a list style so it's much easier and gets straight to the point. As you can tell, I'm just as busy as you guys, and I'm really sorry these posts aren't as detailed as they can be. But, I am trying my best to give you guys the points I'm trying to make! Plus, I know you all do not have limitless time to be able to read the whole thing.
  1. Start packing now! DO NOT procrastinate on packing the big things, especially items that were bought specifically for your dorm. Shower caddies, sheets and decorations don't have to be spread all over your room right now. Work with the items and try to pack them as compactly as you can.
  2. Be sure to label your boxes/bins, write lists, type out a Word document, etc. It'll help you stay organized and know where everything is when packing.
  3. Before packing linens, wash them! They most likely smell like the plastic wrapper that they're packaged in. Plus, for some people (like me), new and unwashed linens can really irritate skin. What can be worse than getting a rash from your new comforter set the FIRST night you use it?
  4. When picking a place to keep everything during the packing/pre-college time period, keep a few things in mind.
a. Make sure it's not in a place that will get in your family members' way
b. If you have an empty coat closet -- that's the perfect place! It'll also give you an idea of the available space in the car. If everything can't fit into a single coat closet, you're bringing way too many things or the items you're bringing are pretty bulky.
c. The garage is always the best bet -- especially when it comes time to pack up the car.

Here are some pictures of my "haul" pile (keep in mind, I am a girl and I need a lot of things...)
All of my "bigger" dorm items. From left to right: food items and some containers (Ikea bag), bedding (Ikea bed), bath items/decorations (Hefty Bin), kitchen appliances/decorations/desk items (Hefty Bin), Hangers, Duvet, Shampoos/Laundry detergent/cleaning items (Crate). 
Other than this, I only have two duffel bags of clothes, shoes and makeup plus my backpack. 


The little corner in the back of my living room where I was allowed to keep all of my things. 
I'm proud to say that's all I'm bringing, and I'm completely done shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment